Monday, April 16, 2012

Behold! The fruit of my labor...


I know what you're thinking. "Oh, Sandy! How ever did you ever get such large and bountiful broccoli to grow so early in the season! I must know your secret! I NEED to know your secret!"
Calm down, I'll tell you. I was able to grow this FULL OUNCE of lovely green broccoli by using a highly scientific technique called watering and fertilizing.
That's right, I did almost nothing at all, and I am clearly reaping the benefits. I didn't even stop to investigate the variety of broccoli I was planting. I just bought some and planted it. I was even stunned to come out one day in late March to find little heads forming. I half expected the suckers to take six months to grow. At any rate, apparently the plants will continue to produce, despite the fact that I just hacked off the top four inches. And get this, they will create even SMALLER heads than the ones first produced.
These plants would be one of my very first purchases made early both in season, and in my gardening adventure. I'm going to go ahead and count it as a win that I got anything to grow at all from the stupid things, considering my complete and absolute ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment